Are you a BC post-secondary student who is handy with Drupal 8? We’re looking to hire a current student as a part-time Drupal Development Contractor. Work flexible hours from home, earn competitive compensation and learn from an industry veteran! Work starts ASAP in early September and continues until the end of December, with the possibility of extension for the right person.
About Shawn DeWolfe Consulting
Shawn DeWolfe Consulting is a web development studio specializing in WordPress & Drupal website design and deployments. With over 23 years of web development experience, Shawn has a deep understanding of best practices in design, messaging, and web implementation; and a proven track record of positive business outcomes for his clients.
Shawn DeWolfe Consulting’s websites are built to be robust, responsive, socially-enabled and user-friendly. They are designed with both form and function in mind. Under the hood, the code is written to adhere to the most current web standards to ensure cross-browser compliance, security and SEO-friendliness.
Shawn DeWolfe Consulting is seeking a part-time Drupal Developer contractor, primarily responsible for backend/module development. You will work delivering a variety of backend application development of Drupal websites; architecting elegant solutions to client problems using the right mix of community modules and custom modules; developing new custom and community modules; and migrating content from legacy CMS systems.
This is a remote-work, contract position from September – December 2019, with a possibility of extension. The contract will involve an average of 12 – 24 hours of work per week, which may fluctuate based on volume of work.
As compensation for this job is funded in part by the Innovate BC Innovator Skills Initiative (ISI) grant, you must be a current student at an accredited BC post-secondary institution to qualify for this position. As part of the program, we will provide you with practical skills and training in such topics as:
- practical application of coding knowledge to real-world problems
- creation of Drupal code including custom modules
- understanding of the software development cycle
- effective project skills for efficient task completion
- time management & resource allocation
- client management
- project planning
You will also be provided with three hours of paid time to complete New Ventures BC’s Online Market Validation Training Program.
- Carrying out a variety of tasks that range in size from generating 10 – 20 lines of code; through to a complete custom module.
- Creating custom modules and plugins, debugging and patching core components, and understanding the source code of the systems you work with.
- Developing for multiple devices and interactions: desktops, and touch devices like smartphones and tablets.
- Designing and developing code architecture that promotes reuse, readability, and best-practice coding standards.
- Understanding the web’s infrastructure to create highly-performant and scalable features.
- Keeping pace with rapid innovation in web technologies and exhibiting a desire to push limitations.
Access to reliable high-speed internet, and maintaining availability to consult by Google Hangout and/or phone during the agreed-upon hours of work, are requirements of this position.
- Remote work opportunity
- Flexible hours
- Competitive wages ($40/hr)
- 3 hours paid time to complete New Ventures BC’s Online Market Validation Training Program
- An excellent opportunity for students – learn from an industry veteran on a schedule that fits around your classes
- Must be a current student at an accredited Canadian post-secondary institution
- Drupal 8 development experience, with evidence on your drupal.org profile
- Advanced site-building skills including deep familiarity with Drupal modules such as Views, Views PHP, Panels and Entity References; and Admin Tools such as Devel, Drush, Composer and Ludwig
- Experience creating custom Drupal modules
- Knowledge of object-oriented programming, PHP files and theme functions, and knowledge of the Drupal theme layer
- Understanding of relational database systems such as MySQL and MariaDB
- Must write well-designed, testable, efficient and fast-loading code using best software development practices
The successful candidate will be a highly-motivated self-starter with strong time-management skills. Must possess the ability to work to tight deadlines without compromising attention to detail. Should be able to read and accurately interpret documentation. Able to build on existing code without rewriting it. A positive attitude, good communication skills and timely responsiveness to email and phone/Google Hangouts queries will be key to your success in this position.
Must provide code examples and have a Drupal.org account.
- Drupal Commerce
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the position, please contact us via the same email. No phone calls please.
Please be sure to include a link to your Drupal.org profile as part of your application.
Thank you for your interest in this position. We look forward to hearing from you!