WordPress Resources: The Penultimate Collection
Here are some general resources for your website.
- Hosting: What do you need
- Hosting from A2 (I like these guys)
- Upgrade and Updates
There are always people who would like to get into the game. Here are a couple tutorials that learned me developing themes.
- So you want to create WordPress themes, huh?
- Build a WordPress Theme from Scratch
- WordPress Theme from Scratch (3 parts)
Developing your Theme on your Local Computer
A great way to develop themes is to have a local server on your computer. A server that runs PHP and MySQL allows you to test themes without uploading to your online server. It isn’t hard to set up such server:
The WordPress Codex is the official documentation for WordPress. It has a huge number of content and you can find almost anything about WordPress There. Here are most important resources.
- Theme Development
- Conditional Tags
- Template Tags
- Stepping into Template Tags
- Designing Themes For Public Release
- The Loop
- Template Hierarchy
- Using Custom Fields
Theme Starting Points
When you are just starting out (or if you don’t want to start from scratch) you can use so-called “WordPress Frameworks”. Check of the most popular below:
- Thematic - WordPress Framework
- Hybrid WordPress Theme Framework
- Starkers WordPress Theme
- WhiteBoard - Free WP Theme Framework
Because WordPress is so popular, many people use it. All these people have different requirements and WordPress can’t support them all. So, whoever needs more functionality experimented and hacked away. Here are a few WP hacks you can incorporate into your theme.
- Collection of WordPress Hacks
- WordPress Theme Hacks
- 63 WordPress Hacks
- Mastering Your WordPress Theme Hacks and Techniques
Hundreds of tutorials have been written about WordPress and theme development. Here is a small section of the best tutorials out there.
- Social Bookmarking with WordPress
- What Every Blogger need to know about Categories
- Widgetizing Themes
- How to Separate Comments and Trackbacks
- Different Ways To Display Content in WordPress
- How to Highlight Author Comments in WordPress
- How to Install DomTABs on WordPress Create a Custom WordPress Plugin From Scratch
- Build a Featured Posts Section for WordPress
- Unraveling the Secrets of WordPress’ Comments.php File
- How to Blog Design Style Guide
WordPress & SEO
By default, WordPress is a search engine friendly blogging platform. However, you can enhance your themes much further with the following SEO techniques.
- WordPress SEO by Joost de Valk
- Perfect WordPress Title Tags
- WordPress Permalinks Explained
- Duplicated Content
Cheatsheets can be very handy when you need to reference to a WordPress tag or function. You can print them and put them up your wall for quick referencing!
Promote your Theme
If you want to release your theme for free to the public, you can add your theme to these sites to get more attention.
Check out these forums to discuss anything WordPress related.
Many people write about WordPress to teach other WordPress enthusiasts about their findings and tricks. Here are a few blogs on the subject.
- Lorelle on WordPress
- WP Candy
- Blog Design Blog
- Darren Hoyt
- WordPress Modder
- Blogging Pro
One great advantage of WordPress is the great plugin support. With thousands of plugins available, there’s almost a fix for anything.
More plugins? Check out these links:
Inspirational Designs and Ideas
It’s important to get inspiration from time to time, it can give you many idea’s for your themes. Here are some showcase sites.